Hello lovelies 🙂
Even though I should be writing a 5 page paper about who I believe the most significant Supreme Court Justice has been, so I can successfully finish on time and make it to my 8 am, I instead have been watching Gilmore Girls.
Naturally it was the episode in which Rory is confused about her life and starts crying in her house with Lucy and Olivia, to when she has the following conversation
RORY: “Everything is just…ending. I just feel like everything is gonna be over. I’m done at the paper. Soon I’m gonna be done at Yale, and it’s just like I’m standing on this cliff, looking out into this huge, foggy…”
RORY: “Like, a huge, foggy abyss, and, in my whole life, there’s never been an abyss. It’s been abyssless. I’ve always known exactly what is in front of me, and I’ve always known exactly where I’m going, and now…I don’t know what’s out there.”
And if there has ever been a time when my entire life could be summed in a 30 second conversation (yes I timed it), then this was it. While all of my friends are feeling like they’re finally getting their life together, that this semester is going to be great, how they’ve finally landed the job of their dreams, how their love life is skyrocketing, and now their GPA is shining like the light from the sun, I am sitting here even more lost than ever.
Usually I find ways to get myself out of the funk though
- Baking and eating ridiculous amounts of junk food while watching a movie or a show usually does the trick
- Go on my tumblr and look at all the things I imagine my future to be like (all the clothes I want to eventually buy, all the foods I want to eventually try)
- Make a list of little things that make me happy, such as the first snow of the year, when a morning class gets cancelled, when people give you surprises (The link is to help you get started in case you can’t think of anything!)
- Make a big mug of tea, because tea is like a hug in a cup! I got this amazing Starbucks mug from my friend for Christmas, and I seriously can’t go anywhere without it
- Call my parents and have a nice conversation with them, whether it’s me telling them how stressed or lost I am, or just hearing about their day
- Try something I’ve never done before
- Go exercise! Lately I’ve been getting back into swimming, it’s extremely refreshing.. and the warm shower afterward makes it worth it too!
- Clean my room! According to this article, “This simple practice, upheld consistently, will pay amazing dividends for your peace of mind and enjoyment of life.”
- Last but not least, remember that eventually, even if it doesn’t feel like, everything is going to be okay 🙂 And you just have to hold on to that feeling
What are some of your tricks when you’re feeling down? 🙂