Hello lovely readers:)
I received a request on tumblr from a fan asking me to write a blog post on my take on romance, and I have to say I’m honored, and also slightly confused on where to go from here, because the request was so incredibly broad. So anon on tumblr, this one is for you.
- A feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
- A quality or feeling of mystery, excitement, and remoteness from everyday life.
To me, Romance and Love go hand in hand. Romance doesn’t have to be those over the top gestures such as surprising someone with rose petals on their bed after they had a long day at work, having a candle light dinner just for the heck of it, or taking a surprise trip to Paris (even though I love those!), they can just be those late nights watching movies in bed, or holding their hand and taking a walk at night, or that feeling that you get when they smile at you.
For me, every healthy relationship should have love and romance, because that’s really what love is all about. The song had it right:
L is for the way you look at me
O is for the only one I see
V is very very, extraordinary
E is even more than anyone that you adore
But I also think a healthy relationship should have more than that. Psychology Today recently published an article regarding 8 aspects of a healthy relationship, and even though I agree with all 8 of them, I’ve given my two cents on my favorite ones below:
1. Taking Interest: People in healthy relationships take interest in one another – asking each other how their days were, inviting them to do things, and asking the deeper questions.
2. Acceptance & Respect: This means accepting what we have come to know about the other person and continuing to treat him/her with respect. This one to me is really important, we all have “emotional baggage,” but when we find the right person, that bag doesn’t seem so heavy anymore.
5. Positive Interactions: Research shows that relationships are the most satisfying when there are quantitatively more positive interactions with the other person than negative.
8. Reciprocity: You reap what you sow darlings 🙂
These aspects are very important, and I think in addition to that, because I was requested to give my view on romance, I’m going to say both independence and interdependence are very important to me.
In the future, I want to be a lawyer, I know that my free time will be limited, and I want to be with someone who both has a busy lifestyle like me, but is able to make time for me at the end of a long day, and watch a Bollywood movie while drinking tea.
I know that some people will probably argue that “this doesn’t exist” and perhaps it’s my obsession with Disney and Bollywood movies that have me convinced that my prince is out there, and maybe I’ve already found him 🙂
So my view on romance, I think it’s the greatest thing ever – it’s that unconditional love that you receive from your parents that reminds you that no matter what, everything is going to be okay 🙂 I even have an entire pinterest dedicated to it, and an entire tagged section on my tumblr. I also have my parents, whom I’ve watched growing up, who are the cutest couple in the entire world 🙂
Dearest anonymous, I hope I was able to fulfill your request, thank you for suggesting the idea, I loved writing this post!
If anyone else has any requests or ideas for blog posts, just comment below, or contact me via email at email@example.com, or through twitter, tumblr, and pinterest!