Here we are again, we hoped this day wouldn’t come, we hoped that maybe the calendar would just skip over this day this year, but here we are again, at this ridiculous holiday.
So those of you who have been following me for years know that I really don’t like this holiday. I just, I can’t even begin to explain why I don’t like it holiday. Me, the hopeless romantic, hates this holiday.
Don’t get me wrong, I always have fun on V-Day, with my self-love ritual (which I will talk about below!!), but the overpriced chocolate and flowers, the overhypedness, the gushiness… ugh. So annoying.
Andy you know the worst part?? I, like a complete sucker, pay for those overpriced chocolates and engage in the gushiness. Ridiculous. I’m such a hypocrite.
At this point, I’ve accepted that I can simultaneously hate this holiday and also partake in it, because what can I say? I’m a follower.
I really loved my Valentines day last year, I got to celebrate Galentine’s Day in both D.C. and Philly, and spend the evening of the 14th at the airport (and for the 25th time, I LOVE airports), and got to spend the weekend in Oklahoma with my family! Even though most of that weekend was sitting and taking notes for criminal law, I feel like it was the perfect work/relaxation balance – the most relaxed I’d been that entire semester so far!
This year, I once again I celebrated Galentine’s day with my friends, and as we speak I’m in Philadelphia right now!
The thing is, as much as I hate Valentine’s day, it’s also really nice. It’s nice to see people you love and care about!
Spend the day loving others, spend the day loving yourself! Spend the weekend enjoying, Valentine’s doesn’t end just because it hits 12:00am on the 15th! If you can sleep in on Saturday and Sunday then do it! Or maybe wake up early and go to a coffee shop and get brunch with your friends! Do something you’ve never done before, be bold!!
If you all have a valentine, I hope you have a lovely weekend, and if you don’t, then I invite you to join me on my traditions.
Now, in an ideal world, I’d be in Martha’s Vineyard, getting a tennis bracelet, and cooking a meal with Logan, (can you tell that it’s my favorite Gilmore Girls episode?) but life on a budget, amirite? Regardless, Self love is so important, and I’m all for it 🙂
- Make chocolate covered strawberries!! This is my favorite thing to do, I think making them is just as much fun as eating them!
- Drink a drink of your choice – wine, coffee, tea, water, anything else!
- Take a nice bubble bath 🙂 I’m a sucker for bubble baths – I got this nice new one from Bath and Body Works and it’s LOVELY. A lot of my friends also know I LOVE candles, so I’m going to be lighting those as well!
- Sit in bed and watch a romcom (I wish I could remember what movies I watched the past 3 years, but I don’t!) It doesn’t really matter which one you pick, and if you’re not a romcom fan, watch whatever relaxes you! In fact, I got the FRIENDS DVDs from the library, maybe I’ll just sit and watch those!
- Wear something you feel great in! The past few years I always wore sweatpants, but maybe this year I’ll wear my favorite shirt or maybe my favorite dress! (Although, I’ll be honest, right now I’m sitting in pajamas and the chances of me actually getting up and changing, as opposed to staying in pajamas and curling up in bed and eating my strawberries, are SLIM. But I’ll let you all know what I end up doing 😉)
- This year, I’m also adding a new tradition: unplug. I’m such a slave to my phone. All of my friends yell at me for it, they keep telling me to unplug and focus on myself, but I’ve never really been great at that – I need to always be doing 15 things at once. But this year, no. 7 pm and I’m OUT. In fact, posting this blog post will be the last thing I do before I cut off communications with the outside world (until tomorrow morning!!)
Basically, whether you love this holiday, you hate this holiday, or you really couldn’t care about it at all, I hope you all have a great time!
To be honest, I think I’m warming up to the idea of this holiday… only slightly anyway… and I have high hopes for this year 🙂
Until next time cuties 🙂 Have a wonderful Valentine’s day ❤
Be sure to comment below on your valentines day plans, because like I said, I’m a hopeless romantic 😉
If you liked this post and want to hear more about my crazy day to day adventures, click the follow or subscribe button! You can also contact me via email at email@example.com, or through twitter, and tumblr!
3 Comments Add yours